Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sharpie-like DIY Mugs


Sharpie-like Mugs. So I've seen on Pinterest the DIY Sharpie mugs that you can create. Cute quotes... initials... the ideas are endless. My sister-in-law's birthday is tomorrow and my younger sister's birthday get-together is this upcoming Saturday so it gave me the perfect opportunity to try out this DIY craft! I'd make one for myself but Ty would kill me if I bought another mug that was going to somehow cram into the already overflowing cupboards. :/ So here's the inspiration idea I found on Pinterest:


Supplies:
mug (bought at Walmart)
stickers (you should choose a wider 'font' style... mine are pretty thin)
porcelain art pen (this was leftover from a Starbucks' mug I decorated)

Here's how I put them each together:

Place your stickers on your mug

Start 'dotting' around each letter. You'll notice I left more space around each letter because my stickers were so thin. Start close and then spread out.


Peel off the stickers

Since it's my sister's 30th birthday I decided to put a small 30 so she'll remember what year it's from. :)

I saw this quote near the '30's' cards and thought it was fun.
Outlining my sister-in-laws name...again leaving space around the stickers.


She enjoys different teas so I saw this idea on Pinterest and decided to keep hers simple. Less is more sometimes you know?



Once your designs are completed wait an hour (these are the directions on the porcelain pen/Starbucks instructions). After an hour you'll put them in the oven at 450' for 20 minutes. I place the mugs on a small cookie sheet to make it easier putting them in and taking out of the oven. Let them cool for 1-2 hours and you're done! Supposedly they should still be microwavable and dishwasher safe... guess I'll have to wait and see what they say?!

Now I just have to put together each mug with some goodies. I still need to gather up the goodies for my sister's mug (I'll update with pictures once I have them) but my sister-in-laws was simple because she's trying to save to buy a house! Yea! So I took a tea bag and cut a little slit and emptied the tea. I carefully tucked in some money. A much cuter way to give money... instead of just in the card don't you think!
Money tea bag:
I'll secure the bag with a little tape inside the mug and on the outside for the piece hanging off

No comments:

Post a Comment