Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crayon Art

I wanted to try out an idea I'd seen on Pinterest.  Crayon art!  I used the same idea of a heart as I'd seen.  I set it a bit off centered to make it a bit different.  Also, after I finished I didn't like how the wax didn't cover all of the canvas.  [Because I didn't use as many crayons]  So I decided to melt some wax and drip it around to fill the open spaces. 

Here's the process of creating crayon art:


I used a heart to place the crayons around.  I glued the crayons onto the canvas.  Originally I started on a smaller canvas and figured it'd be too much work to cut each of the crayons, so I ended up using a larger canvas instead.







I started melting the crayons with my hair dryer and quickly realized it was going to take WAY TOO LONG. It just wasn't hot enough.



I started to use Ty's heat gun and they literally melted in seconds!  [I probably could have used my heat gun for embossing but I didn't think about it at the time.]  F.Y.I. It gets a bit smoky, so make sure to take a break in between otherwise you'll set off the smoke alarm!  Oops!



On Pinterest someone had mentioned that it would spray.  Duh.  So I used a clear bin to spray into while I melted the wax.  It worked out great!



After I had each of the colors melted I didn't like all the open white space so I took other crayons and dripped the wax to create splatters.  It was a lot of fun!  And not too messy!  I love how it turned out! 



The only thing left is finding the perfect quote, message, or word to put in the middle of the heart.  I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it yet, so once I figure that part out, I'll figure out what it should say.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment